QuickBooks Error 6000 82 indicates the message, An error appears while trying to open up the company filer. Or, when QuickBooks users try to access the company file data and are unable to open it. This error code takes place in multi-client scenarios. If you seek help please call our QuickBooks Support Helpline.
What happens when you have QuickBooks Error 6000 82?
QuickBooks Error Code -6000, -82 happens in a multi-user environment. When you have this error, then you cannot access the company file which is located on another computer. This means you cannot access the company file.
Several factors might lead to QuickBooks Error -6000,-82 in your system. Below given are some of these reasons. Check all the factors before troubleshooting.
- Due to the damage in the data source name.
- The software installed is ‘’
- Because of damaged QuickBooks Transaction Log file (.TLG), you may face an error.
- A damaged Network Descriptor (ND) file
- Damaged Data Source Name (DSN) file
Note: It is mandatory to ensure that your QuickBooks is updated to the latest release before you begin troubleshooting. Ensure to update QuickBooks to the most recent release before performing the below-given steps. In case of immediate assistance speak to a technical expert at QuickBooks support number.
Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000 82
Step 1: Eliminate spaces before the company file extension and after the company name
- Log out from the QuickBooks Desktop on all the system.
- Open to the folder where you have saved the company file.
- Right click on the company file and select as Rename.
- Click the name of the file, then find and remove any spaces between the file extension and the name of the company.
- Attempt to open or create a company file.
If the issue still persists, then proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Turn off hosting with each computer where QuickBooks is installed
- Access by Single-User
Turning off Hosting mode disables multi-user access.
- Go to File, Utilities, Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- When the message, Stop hosting multi-user access appears, click Yes.
- When the message appears as, close the Company file, click Yes.
- Access by Multi-UserThis error generally indicates that one or more client computers are set up incorrectly to host for multi-user access.
- On each client computer displaying the error:
- In the No Company Open window, select File, then choose Utilities.
- Confirm that the menu option Host Multi-User Access appears. One or multiple client computers may show the menu option, Stop Hosting Multi-User Access, which specifies they are hosting multi-user access already.
- Select the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option on any client computer displaying the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access, then follow the prompts to turn off hosting.5.
- Try opening the problem file again. The log-in window should now display. If the issue remains, please proceed to step 3.
Step 3: Switch to Hosting Local and Remote files mode, for Multi-User access.
Follow this procedure if the previous steps don’t support resolving the error.
- With QuickBooks open, press the F2 key to open the Product Information window.
- Verify that under Local Server Information at the bottom of the window, Hosting is set to local files only.
- Select the File menu and select Switch to Multi-user Mode.
- Open a company file on a network computer. For more instruction, check for the QuickBooks in-product Help or set up multi-user or network for QuickBooks Desktop resource page.
- Once the company file is open, press the F2 key to open the Product Information window.
- Verify that under Local Server Information at the bottom of the window, you have set the Hosting to local files only.
Note: To establish other QuickBooks users with continuous access to the company file, the system which is hosting multi-user access should be left on, and the user who set up QuickBooks must last as logged in. Though, QuickBooks doesn’t need to be open.
If the issue appears, please proceed to step 4.
Step 4: Restart the client computer
Restarting the system will bring the device up from the scratch and wipes away the current state of the software. If the issue still remains, please proceed to step 5.
Step 5: Accompany standard data troubleshooting
It is feasible that the company file has data damage. To resolve that, check the Resolve data damage issue that is, basic troubleshooting.